Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Week 3

Photo Number One 


This is a photo of the Grand Bank Cottage Hospital. The hospital has been a very important landmark in Grand Bank for many years.  The demolition of this building is on-going, therefore I value this picture quite a bit because once this building is gone, I will always have the picture. I have fond memories of going to this hospital as a child when I was sick, but this building holds much more history to the town of Grand Bank than ill patients. The high school in the town is even named after a specific practitioner, Dr.John Burke, who practiced at the hospital for many years. The town holds many myths surrounding the hospital, some people strongly believe them, while others simply discard them. Nurses have claimed to see Dr.Burke roaming the halls, long after his passing. Similarly, janitorial workers, working by themselves, have claimed to hear strange noises, such as footsteps and voices.


I took this particular picture this summer past. I was looking to give the picture the eery feeling due to stories I have previously mentioned. As the demolition of the building continues, citizens of the town believe the land still belongs to Dr.Burke. 







Photo Number Two


This is a photo of Lanse Au Loup pond. Lanse Au Loup is located about five kilometres outside of Grand Bank. It may not look like there is much going on in this picture, however there are many things represented. The dory represents the heritage of Newfoundland. In previous years, the dory was used everyday for transportation, and for the fishery. The calmness of the picture is showing how it is seldom used today, since the economy has evolved. The ways of life in Newfoundland have changed, and right now more Newfoundlanders are working away rather than in the fishery. Personally, the calmness of the picture also reminds me of the lifestyle I grew accustomed to, while living in a small town. However, the city is never calm and I have been trying to adapt to a whole new lifestyle. 


I took this picture this summer past. I was hoping to capture the feeling of serenity, and the beauty of nature in contrast to the city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment